Scales

I swear the three different scales I use are plotting a conspiracy against me. 210 is really becoming very very hard to get past. And I'm starting to get tired of getting disappointed every other time I weigh myself.

Just this last evening, I weighed myself at 217 pounds. Granted, I was full, but not that full. This morning I wake up, do my business and take a shower, and go to weigh myself only to have the thing say 211!

210ish pounds isn't really something to be ashamed of, I know. I've literally put on half of my original body weight since staring my workout/gaining. But I don't really get it--I've specifically worked to eat more and more since hitting this wall. I've talked to a lot of people about plateaus and how to get past them, but nothing seems to be helping! According to my bodybuilding.com graph, I've been at 211 since late August!

Do these plateaus usually last this long? What could be keeping me from gaining at the very least just one or two pounds this past month? I actually even feel bigger--my 34s are really starting to get tight--my belly, my thighs and chest, and especially my ass feel a little bigger every day.

I'm stumped. Any thoughts?

On a side note, I'm overly flattered at the response to my video on YouTube! 1200+ views? 70 subscribers? Just for my little starter belly? Shucks, you all~ I even made a couple of great friends already! Like I said to a lot of you, I intend to make a video every 10 pounds I gain. That is, IF I EVER GET TO 220!

6 comments:

  1. Do not worry so much. It has been seen that if comming to a large gain or loss of wieght the body will have times where it literally stops showing progress. It has something todo with you metabolism chainging. It can take a few weeks to a few months sometimes So just relax. But please becareful pushing it might seriously start affecting your health and that is something noone wants. On another not I enjoyed your film and even subscribed. Heck been a fan for over 2 years of your artwork and was suprised when i heard you started gaining yourself. Can't wait to see what happens next. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've been watching this blog for a while and I have been cheering you on all the way and praying you can reach your goals. ^^ I'm no doctor or anything like that, but maybe your body is staying at what is is cause it's getting ready to adjust and grow more? Though I know you'll get to the weight you want to be at, if you just keep working at it and not give up. -hugs tightly- This is vgm22 from FA always rooting for you. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as a plateau goes, it may be that your calorie needs have outpaced your intake. Sometimes even when it seems you're stuffing yourself you can be falling short.

    My suggestion would be to try a program like DietPower that you log your weight and calorie intake in, and it calculates how much you burn every day and how much you need to take in to reach a certain goal by a certain time. I use it when I'm trying to gain, and it's been pretty good at getting me up in weight, or at least telling me why I'm not. (I'm not very good at getting a lot of calories into a day...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try de-stressing during the day. Stress tends to cause your body to burn more calories, and it eats away at muscle mass, so it's two strikes against you.
    And of course not just stuffing yourself but also snacking 2 or 3 times in between meals helps too, the increase frequency of meals increases you metabolism a little but if you eat enough volume of snacks often enough(which should be easier when snacking), you can far out pace any increase you metabolism could burn. Things like peanuts, milk, oatmeal bars, or cookies(definitely oatmeal cookies!), tuna in oil, a big scoop of peanut butter, or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, anything like that. If you can handle the highs and lows of more sugary snacks then go for those too.
    Keep working at it man, you'll get past it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I myself am trying to lose weight, but many things that I have learned recently could very well be turned the other way. As part of my attempt to lose weight, I've decided to study the science behind fad diets. One of the biggest is the low-carb diet. The whole idea behind it is involved with the fact that most carbs actually block the mechanism through which our body uses fat for energy. So, a high-carb diet would help you maintain your body fat even as you exercise heavily. However, you have to watch which types of carbs that you take in. Sugars will just lead to diabetes. I would suggest this site: http://www.nutritiondata.com/
    It lists a wide variety of foods, and includes a rating of how good the food is for healthy weight gain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I think you're looking fantastic. If you've hit a plateau, maybe it's time to slow down and enjoy it for a bit. Then once you've had a rest, go all-out back into it, harder than ever before. :-)

    It's really awesome to watch your transformation take place. I can't wait to see how you go in the future.

    ReplyDelete