Working

Quite a bit has happened in the past month and I suppose that's why I haven't posted in a while. A few days after the health care bill passed, my parents got notice from their insurance company that, to cut costs, they would be dropping any dependents who were on their family plans who did not still live at home. Since I did not plan on moving back in with my mother and father again, I was forced to find another option for insurance--which meant, basically, I need a job. At the same time, my sister told me that a Starbucks in town needed some help and that she could get me back in with the company.

Sadly, this place was nearly at the bottom of my choices for work. Back when I first started this blog, I had just started there for the first time. I quit because I was giving up food service for what I thought was the last time. I had high hopes because the economy was finally picking back up again, but I needed a job--and insurance--right then and there, so I took the offer. I was holding out for a nice office job because it'd be a perfect way to be lazy and make money, but I suppose you gotta do what you gotta do.

So, it's been a week and I'm starting to get my barista legs back. I got some new, comfortable clothes and am making the best of it. I may have to move around a lot and I don't have much time to eat anymore, but at the end of the night, there's always a lot of free food to take home and I think I look good in the apron. (I got called a 'bearista' by someone and it made me grin.)

So that's where I'm at right now. I was in a sour mood because of this whole situation, so I wasn't in the journal-posting mood, but now that my routine is settling back into place, I can get back to business.

10 comments:

  1. Well I hope you get the job you want, but free coffee! With lots of sugar and cream and whatever the hell else is in that stuff that makes it so delicious. I can't decide if the caffeine would be good for gaining or not because it definitely makes you more active and use up more energy, but also makes you hungrier faster, so. Eat up on the leftover pastries!

    Good luck! Post pics/vids soon! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, don't despair - you are not alone in that situation, believe me! In this rotten economy I, along with most of my friends, have also had to do a job I thought I was done with. But, as John Lennon said, "Life is what happens while you are making other plans."

    Hang in there and get busy on those baked goods and sweet drinks to keep your figure progressing the way it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about all that. Especially the insurance thing... thats what happens with the "savior" in office. Dunno why people thought that stupid bill was a good idea...

    Anyways good idea to make the best of a bad situation :) Like you said free food to take home right? Free food is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The health care reform bill had nothing to do with his parents' insurance carrier deciding to drop coverage for dependents not living at home. In fact, the law, once it is fully implemented, should make it easier to get affordable individual health coverage (health insurance outside of employment), something which today is difficult and expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you don't HAVE to get health insurance.


    but regardless the only way you can be "lazy" and make a steady inflow of money is if you inherit it all

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you are a little lost.... Life's bizzare and you never know what opportunities will present themselves - stay positive special boy. Your blog is always a pleasure to read x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bearistas are fing sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahh poor Pete, I to thought I was done with the bar work (I can tell you having done both bar and cafe work the bar is a lot more disgusting) but I just can't dinf anyone who will higher recent grads here in Aus at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fact Sheet: Young Adults and the Affordable Care Act

    "The Affordable Care Act requires plans and issuers that offer coverage to children on their parents' plan to make the coverage available until the adult child reaches the age of 26. Many parents and their children who worried about losing health insurance after the children moved away from home or graduated from college no longer need to worry."

    http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/newsroom/fsdependentcoverage.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, a bit late to the party (very late, in fact), but...

    You're...23, right? Under the new law, shouldn't you be covered (regardless of where you live) until you're 25?

    (I know, because I just turned 26 and I had to ask about that - apparently, I'm not affected because of the way I pay. Fortunately, my father works with insurance companies, so he's pretty knowledgable. However, and here's the tricky thing - I'm not sure whether that provision kicked in immediately or kicks in this fall.)

    At any rate:

    1) Hey, it's not that bad, actually. Yeah, it's an active job, but as anon pointed out, a lot of Starbucks drinks are...rather decadent. (Especially the iced ones. From what I understand, they're not so much coffee as coffee-flavored. You would probably know better than I would.)

    2) oh god bearista i may have to use that term sometime.

    ReplyDelete